8th grade science
8th GRADE EARTH SCIENCE
Earth science is the study of the dynamic processes that shape our earth, as well as our atmosphere and oceans, today and in the past. We will investigate the structure and composition of the earth as well as physical processes that shape it.
In addition, we will also be learning about science in general. We will study how scientists work, the tools they use and how they reach their conclusions.
- Everyday - I expect your best!
- All the rules in this class revolve around 1 word - RESPECT! For teachers, for supplies and materials in the room and for each other.
- This means use common courtesy: be polite and listen, express yourself in a respectful manner
- This also means respect for materials in the lab
This year’s text will be electronic and is accessible on the macbook. You will have a password which will allow you to access the text and other materials from any other computer with internet access. When in the classroom students will be expected to follow acceptable internet usage rules and be on task. Print materials will be available upon request or necessity.
eBook assignments are to be treated like any other. If you forget your computer or your password, it is the same as forgetting your textbook or paper assignment. The consequences are the same.
- We will use standard laboratory equipment in the classroom.
- Students must sign a Safety Contract before being allowed to work in the lab.
- Any student removed from lab will be given an alternate assignment to complete. If that assignment is not turned in, it will result in an incomplete grade.
- You are responsible for getting all instructions and assignments. If you miss a day, it is up to you to get your missed assignment on time.
- Students are expected to complete class work independently. Work that is not the student’s own will not be given credit.
- Any work handed in after the due date will be worth 50% of the points earned. Late work will be accepted only until the appropriate chapter is completed.
Grades in 8th grade science are equally weighted. 33.3% each for homework, labs & tests.