7th Grade Science
7th GRADE SCIENCE
Life science is the study of living organisms. In this class we will investigate the characteristics of living things and how they are classified. We will also look at how living things function, how they pass on their hereditary information and the role they play in the environment.
In addition, we will also be learning about science in general. We will study how scientists work, the tools they use and how they reach their conclusions.
- Everyday - I expect your best!
- All the rules in this class revolve around 1 word - RESPECT! For teachers, for supplies and materials in the room and for each other.
- This means use common courtesy: be polite and listen, express yourself in a respectful manner
- This also means respect for materials in the lab
This year’s text will be electronic and is accessible on the macbook. You will have a password which will allow you to access the text and other materials from any other computer with internet access. When in the classroom, students will be expected to follow acceptable internet usage rules and be on task. Print materials will be available if necessary.
eBook assignments are to be treated like any other. If you forget your computer or your password, it is the same as forgetting your textbook or paper assignment. The consequences are the same. Computers should also be charged and ready to go at the start of the school day.
Macbooks are the property of the school and must be treated with due care. Students should be careful to keep computers out of harm’s way in the science room (and in general!). All damages will be the responsibility of the student.
- We will use standard laboratory equipment in the classroom.
- Students must read and sign a Safety Contract before being allowed to work in the lab.
- Lab work is not “extra” work – it is an essential part of the curriculum. Any student absent or removed from lab due to behavioral issues will be given an alternate assignment to complete. If that assignment is not turned in, it will result in an incomplete grade.
- You are responsible for getting all instructions and assignments. If you miss a day, it is up to you to get your missed assignment on time.
- Students are expected to complete class work independently. Work that is not the student’s own will not be given credit.
- Any work handed in after the due date will be worth 50% of the points earned. Late work will be accepted only until the appropriate chapter is completed.
Grades in 7th grade science are equally weighted. 33.3% each for homework, labs & tests.